Ended Orthopaedic Surgeon
Position status: Replacement (gap filling)
Location: AL-QAIDAH HOSPITAL
Contract duration: Fixed term contract 1 month, renewable
A doctor without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, humanitarian, non-governmental organization providing assistance to people in need as a result of natural and man-made disasters, irrespective of race, religion, ideology or politics.
Organize and carry out orthopedic surgical activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols (antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, management of orthopedic cases under MSF criteri, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, surgical checklist, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse, medical doctors, supervisors and ward staff to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program according to universal standar of care and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Collaborate with the emergency disaster response plan (MCP) of the hospital along with the anesthetist, rest of surgical team and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and participate actively in the hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Being able to work under low resource setting with compliance to MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Carry out orthopedic surgeries according to MSF admission criteria.
- Capacity to perform automosly the procedures most commontly done in our Hospital, such as External Fixations, tendon repair, amputations and management of war wounded.
- Willingness to work with people with different backrounds in order to provide the best free health care possible.
- Adaptability to a teamwork environment where the pre-surgical assessment and the follow up is carry out in close collaboration with the rest of the surgical team and the medical doctors on daily basis.
- Asurance of proper use of MSF available resources in benefit of the patient
- Flexibility to the continue changing context
- Availability to teach and learn from other staff members, as well participation in morbidity & mortality meetings, surgical sessions and bedside training in ER and IPD for the medical doctors and nurses.
- Actively participating in scientific and respectful discussions regarding challenging cases with the possibility of using MSF tools such as Telemedicine and opinions from Surgical Advisor.
- Essential, diploma in orthopaedic surgery specialty recognized by the State.
- Having 2 years’ experience as orthopaedic surgery doctor, having worked in MSF or other NGO has and in developing countries is desirable.
- English or Arabic mandatory
- Rigor in work
- Sense of teamwork and sharing
- Intellectual curiosity
- Moral sense, neutrality of judgment and benevolence for patients
- Commitment, Flexibility, Teamwork
All applicants should submit a CV, Cover letter, ID and (Copy of Medical qualification and license medical council and other certificates).
To MSFCH – Al Qaidah CV Drop Box
Or to the following email email@example.com
with the subject: Orthopedic Surgeon
Deadline for the submission of applications is 5:00 PM on 16th of April 2021
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted!