Ended External Evaluation Consultant
Update: The TOR final evaluation file has been added below
TITLE: External Evaluation Consultant
CONTRACT LENGTH: 40 days
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Final evaluation of Save the Children’s GFFO-Funded Health, Nutrition, WASH and Livelihoods program in Hodeida Governorate in Yemen: April 2021
Save the Children is planning to conduct Final evaluation for GFFO project ending in April 2021. The consultant will independently collect and collate data, evidence and perspectives. The assessment results will be used by Save the Children to inform project reporting, future strategies and program design.
The evaluation will be an end of program evaluation, As defined by Terms of Reference (TOR), the evaluation has two main purposes:
a) To understand to which extent the project has realized achievements related to the project objectives. Objectives and questions on the evaluation will be formulated following the OECD/DAC criteria and SCI quality benchmarks.
b) To draw key learning related to coordination, implementation and value added from the findings. In that regard, the desired results of the evaluation are to provide best practices, lessons learnt, and recommendations that may be drawn from the findings. The external evaluator will conduct a participatory evaluation process based on meaningful involvement of partners, beneficiaries, and other interested parties (like engaged experts, trainers and trainees, SC staff, etc).
Roles and responsibilities
- The following is expected of the consultant:
- Review project documents
- Submit the inception report.
- Development and review of data collection tools.
- Ensure data collection, entry and analysis.
- Training of enumerators and project team (internal)
- Debrief on preliminary findings at both field office and country office
- Submission of the draft evaluation report for review – as per SC format.
- Submission of final evaluation report and datasets
- Dissemination of findings to experts and national stakeholders where necessary.
- Seek clearance, authorization and approvals from all relevant authorities
The expected outputs of this evaluation are as follows:
- Inception report (not exceeding 30 pages)
- methods and tools
- data sets
- Final report. (with an executive summary of max 2 pages)
- Power point presentation of the findings (not exceeding 15 slides)
- Presentation of findings to key stakeholders
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self -accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
The following qualifications and skills are expected of the lead consultant:
- An advanced university degree in public health/ nutrition or related health field.
- At least 7 years’ experience in the area of health or nutrition.
- Technical expertise in evaluation, preferably health and nutrition programs in protracted emergency contexts;
- Previous experience in M&E, including conducting end of project evaluations for large-scale projects
- Thorough understanding of data collection methods
- Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative methods
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Fluency in English is a must
- Experience/knowledge on gender sensitive programming
- Understanding of child safeguarding and child participation procedures
- Experience of nutrition programming in Yemen.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates should submit an expression of interest which will includes
A technical proposal: The technical proposal should briefly and clearly describe the following aspects; Understanding of the task, Technical aspect of the proposal, Methodology (Evaluation strategy, Sampling design, Data collection tools, Data Processing & Analysis, Data quality control measures and timelines or operational plan.
A detailed curriculum vitae (CV)/ company profile: Even if sending company profile please attach a detailed CV of the lead consultant with contact details (the CV should include at least two traceable references)
Financial proposal: A signed financial proposal/ budget of the tasks should be broken down into modules, detailing the following: Consultancy fees, Questionnaire development cost, Data processing & analysis, Communication, and Reporting costs and other Miscellaneous (stationeries, printing, etc.).
Sample of previous: The lead consultant must be willing and ready to share a sample of the his or her previous work upon request.
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”
Kindly use this link to apply:
Please download the Term of Reference from the below link under "Files"
TOR Final evaluation GFFO Hodeida-01.04.2019 can be downloaded from the below link